home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Calgon Take Me Away!!!

Still Needing an Escape
Today is day two of "The Great Roof Redo" on my house and I am nearly going insane. Newman jumped out of bed at 7am today as he did yesterday - barking and barking to tell me that there are strange men on the roof. The other three dogs are letting him take care of all the barking for them. They prick their ears and listen (except Harvey of course) but they let Newman do all the running around and barking. 

Yesterday he did this non-stop till he finally just passed out after about 4 hours. He slept for three hours because he was so exhausted and then woke to resume his duties till 8:30pm. Right now he is actually sitting on the back of the sofa and looking out the window. 

There was so much debris surrounding me yesterday. Four layers of roofing off my house and all around falling to the ground. I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz at the beginning of the movie when she is in her Aunt Em's house and  the tornado is happening and the old lady on the bicycle is circling the house with toto in the basket and you keep seeing her go by the windows.  I couldn't get out any of my doors or off the porch. Today, is better no more stuff falling by the windows. But lots of pounding overhead. It actually caused a crystal to fall off my chandelier in the living room. Thankfully it wasn't damaged.

So I signed on today to get a break from the chaos which is my house today. La Dolfina had a lovely post on large clams shells which got me back in my wishing I was at the beach fantasy. You should go there and see the collection of photos she compiled of clam shells.

It got me to thinking how much I do like shells included in decorating. But I don't do it in this house because I am so landlocked, I think it would be silly. But I really do like them in decor and if I lived even a few hours from the beach they would be part of my home.

La Dolfina's post made me remember this fireplace -
source: Cottage Living
I remember seeing this fireplace years ago in Cottage Living and thinking it was a gorgeous solution for a fireplace surround. During the process of finding this photo on the internet I happened upon these images of more use of shells in home decor.







All of these images and creations were done by Heather Kendall. You can see much much more of her work at
ElegantShells.com
Now I hear a screaming baby outside....Why is there a screaming baby in my front yard with the roofers? Here goes Newman again. Will this day never end?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, home repairs are such a pain - yuck! Hope it all goes smoothly and is well worth it! Those shells are gorgeous, I did see Therese's post, it is so hard to pull off nautical, but these are just fabulous! XO!

Lilacandgrey said...

those are the COOLEST chandeliers!!
<3 Cara

Nita Stacy said...

Cara - I know it makes me want to get some shells and get out the old glue gun.

Victoria said...

I don't think you need to live near the beach to decorate with shells! I'm thinking of incorporating some shells into my decor and some mermaids too:)

I missed out on which roof you decided on...or is it a surprise?

Atticmag said...

Shells are so forever! Great examples. Jane F.

Little Emma English Home said...

Ohhh those works are obssessing me....I'm sure you can't wait to have them finished too...

ps. any news about your cousin?? Thinking of you both xoxo

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Wow! The last fireplace is my favorite! Hope the roofers are done soon!

Olive said...

That fireplace is striking but can you imagine how long it took to finish it? olive♥

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I remember all the noise last fall when our roof was replaced. Bailey barked till she fell asleep, too. Love those chandeliers and the mirror.

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

I can soooo relate to having multiple dogs and home renovations all together at the same time. Hang in there! It's always worth it in the end.

Marianne said...

Oh come one, you can do some shells in your house. Just don't go overboard but I think everybody can have a little beach. If it where holiday mementos it wouldn't look strange at all either.
Good luck with the roofing thing. We had our roof replaced a couple of years ago and I remember it vividly!

Teresa said...

I'm heading to the beach to start a collection of shells...love the fireplace.

Nita Stacy said...

Teresa -
A fireplace like that would look good in your new house!